Barry R McCain is a writer, researcher, and speaker, living in Oxford, Mississippi. He has a degree in history from Ole Miss and has been researching his family's genealogy for nearly 40 years. He has travelled extensively in Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Scotland, and is a Gaelic speaker. He is the administrator of the Ulster Heritage DNA Project, the Scots-Irish DNA project, and the Mid Argyll Group DNA project.
His talks are on Ulster, West Highland and Scots-Irish, history and genetic genealogy. His sessions range from an hour to workshops for festivals, Highland or Irish Games, etc. His talks appeal to a wide variety of audiences with varying interests and levels of understanding. Topics include how to set up a Y-DNA project, how to analyze kinship match groups, and historical topics.
Media and Speaking Engagements:
- Speaker Ulster American Heritage Symposium (University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia), June 2014
- Speaker Ulster American Heritage Symposium, Omagh, County Tyrone, N Ireland, June 2012
- BBC program Kist o Wurds Program, BBC Northern Ireland, December 2010
- Presenter at the Ulster American Heritage Symposium, Omagh, County Tyrone, N Ireland, July 2008
- Presenter at the Ulster American Heritage Symposium, Knoxville TN, July 2006
- Traveller’s Way album, producer and performer, December 2005
- With the Oak Ridge Boys, Ford Centre for the Performing Arts, Oxford MS, October 2005
- Sin É program, Dublin, Ireland, Sept 2004.
- Music on the Old Natchez Trace, Interpretive talks and concerts for The National Park Service, Natchez Trace Visitor’s Centre, Tupelo Mississippi, 2002-2005
- The Country Céili Show, with Tommy Sands, October 2004
- Samhain, A radio program on the Celtic traditions of Halloween, The Museum Matter’s Program, broadcast on WNAU, New Albany MS, October 2003.
- The Laggan Redshanks, The Highland Scots in West Ulster, 1569-1630; ISBN 978-0-9855876-2-8, Ulster Heritage Publishing; March 2014, author
- Fall 2010, Treasure Each Voice, 400 years of English, Irish, and Ulster Scots from Stranorlar, co author
- Fall 2009, The Scots-Irish, The Rest of the Story, Highlander Magazine
- Ulster Heritage Magazine, lead writer and editor, 2008-2014
- McCain’s Corner, monthly column, Finn Valley Voice, Ballybofey, County Donegal, Ireland, 2008
- The Trouble With McCain, Nov/Dec 2007, The Highlander Magazine
- The McCain DNA Project, the Electric Scotland internet magazine, 2005
- The McCain DNA Project, The Family Tree Magazine, Feb 2004
- The Irish McDonnells, March/April 1995 By Land By Sea Magazine.
- The Stranger Gael, Sept/Oct 1993 The Highlander Magazine
- The Bodachan, Nov/Dec 1993 The Highlander Magazine
- The Gallóglaigh Jan/Feb 1994 The Highlander Magazine